Your miniature questions are welcome here!

The original Miniatures Question and Answer Blog was the brain child of Nikki Rowe from Witch and Wizards Miniatures. Lately, she realized that she was spreading herself way too thin to continue doing all the things she's involved with well.

Since we all wait in anticipation of what awesome item she'll create next and we all want her to concentrate on making those fabulous mini's that we love, I have agreed to take over the responsiblity of the Miniature Question and Answer blog.

Format is the same. Once a week, on Sunday or Monday, a new question will be posted, researched and, with any luck, answered. You are all welcomed and encouraged to comment with your own answers and suggestions.

If you have a miniature related question you'd like investigated, the best way is to send me an e-mail.

tabithacorsica@gmail.com

But you can also put it in the comments section as a suggestion for the following week and, hopefully, I'll find it.

Nikki will be deleting the original blog so you will have to "re-follow" here, but I have saved all the questions...and answers and comments and they will be the subject of the first post.

Sounds like fun, eh?

Tabitha

Followers

Friday, October 1, 2010

Resins, Liquid Polymers and Scenic Water

Resins, liquid polymers and scenic water was also discussed.
Resins, liquid polymers and scenic water

Resin

I’ve only ever used resin (solid water) by deluxe materials. I'd like to try other resins but not sure which and so have held back. Other makes are available in larger amounts and so would be more economical but as for which I have not got a clue.
I know there are dyes in various colours the makers of this product advise to use, although I’ve only used oil paints in tiny amounts to colour it.
I really like it; it dries to a high shine and has given me the results I want. I've not had any problems with clay or items I’ve set into this product. I know a lot of people say clay and painted items when set in some resins can have a chemical reaction but I’ve not had one... as yet!
So far I’ve only used this product for small items like jars, bowls and cauldron and used a cocktail stick to drop it into each item. I also managed to fill some tiny glass well with this product like test tubes and tiny potion vials.

Liquid Polymers
Liquid polymers such as sculpey and fimo, I don’t use much. When I have I’ve always coloured them with oil paints.
Mostly I’ve used this product for open containers such as bowls, sinks, and cauldrons etc. I've mixed all kinds of materials into this product with no problem and find it to be great for a variety of projects. I’ve also used it to create broken and spilled jars of food with great success.
I don't however like it for filling glass jars and the like because for me it always separates away from the sides and leaves air bubbles. But I know many people use it for this type of item with great success.
I don’t use a syringe like many people suggest. It just never happens for me and refuses to come out.
I tend to use a small brush or cocktail stick to drop it into whatever I’m working on.
It doesn't set to a high gloss and so needs a varnish if that is the look you want.
 
Scenic Water Re-meltable
Scenic water I really like although I find its use is limited, especially for items I sell.
I colour it with water colour paints and food pigment colour powders like those used for decorating cakes. Normal food colouring is no good.
This product is like a gelatin/jelly so melts as such.
I take from the pot what I need, and heat in the microwave in a small ceramic dish.
It only takes a few seconds for this product to melt in the microwave.
Again i don't use a syringe and tend to use a brush to drop it into what I’m filling.
It's great for glass food and potion jars although you have to seal these jars incase the product warms and melts at a later date.
Because it can melt I seal jars with corks and pva glue and then cover with a cloth for potions.
Because it can melt I don’t use it for anything that's open. It picks up dust easily and isn’t easy to clean on open items like bowls and ponds etc.
But if it's for personal use and you don’t have the worry of it melting maybe in the post, it can be used for almost anything and with ease.

Brian at
http://blacknick-sculpture.blogspot.com/ has run through a few products for making water effects.
Brian’s sculptures are fantastic and the water effects are so realistic its untrue.
Pop over there for a good read about creating water effects and also to see the wonderful sculptures.

Ewa at
http: //thesunnyhours112miniatures.blogspot.com/ has been running tests over on her blog using a product called still water. I too have used this product in the past and found it also took a long time to dry but with good results. For items like ponds and large item i would suggest creating them in layer and once each layer is dry then building up. But then it would take forever for an item like a pond. I also found it shrank a tiny amount.

Nikki xxx

Tabitha Corsica said... The only product I have ever used is a 2 part resin by EnviroTex. It is available at Michael’s or other hobby stores. I think it was used primarily for high gloss, super-hard, coating on surfaces like tables or bars...at least that is what is shown on the package. It looks to be similar to the Solid Water (which I have never seen in the US). I have tiny bottles of dyes for this product which I got eons ago. I have not seen them offered for sale anywhere lately but then I haven't looked online. It dries crystal clear and rock hard and it sets up fairly fast. I have used it to fill containers and for a pond. It is possible to layer it (for the placement of fishes in pond or fruit in punch) without an obvious line.
I am interested in a product that I can get a pearlescent look from. Any suggestions?

The Old Maid said... That's funny because I posted today about something I found in my country - as there is nothing else here - and is called Still Water.

Merry Jingle said... Have you tried these professional concentrated jelly like food colourings with the Scenic water? I have some of them in fab colours and wonder how they react with it.

Michelle's Mad World said... Gosh, how fortuitous that this has come up today! I am about to fill a few jars and I was going to use FIMO decorating gel. I don't want my liquid to come away from the sides, so I will use Solid Water instead - off to order some as that's only one I don't have indoors! lol

BlacknickSculpture said... Just a quick thought about creating ponds. You can use a sheet of Plexiglas to create the surface of a pond. You use a Dremel tool to carve in the water ripples.If it is to be a deep pond you can airbrush the underside of the Plexiglas to simulate the center of the pond being deeper.
After you fix the Plexiglas in place and seal the edges well you brush on a coat of catalyzed clear liquid resin. The resin hides all the carving scratches etc. It is a fun technique and a lot faster than building up a pond with multiple pours.

Glenda said... I bought a product from US eBay called Krylon Triple Thick Glaze after seeing it on a Youtube minis demonstration. It worked well when I filled a bottle by dripping it in with a skewer. You can colour it with non-oily pastel powders. The only trouble is that I reacted to the smell which was quite strong - but as I'm supersensitive to chemical smells (they trigger my unidentified 'tiredness syndrome') it might not bother other people. I'm hesitant to do more testing with it.

Michelle's Mad World said... I have a question. I want to make my solid water murky. I also add some tiny bits of scenic soil and the like. I gather I would need to add white to make the resin opaque and then add the colours I want? Has anyone added ultra fine glitter, soil etc to this substance?

Creepy_Creations said... Oh this is some great information! I have tried Castin' Craft Clear Resin with not much luck. The first time I probably didn't mix right and it stayed tacky. The second time it didn't set up until a week later. I will definitely try the Envirotex!! I have the Liquid Sculpey and have not used it much. I was wanting a more clearer look like for cabochons and stuff. I read where adding pastels (grind to powder) to the liquid sculpey or fimo can add color. You can probably get the murky look or if you can find pearlescent pastels might work for that too? I have not tried adding the pastel to resin though.

nikkinikkinikki72 said... Hi Michelle. I wish i could advise you. I do know if you want something to be right in the middle it’s a good idea to pour just under half way, let dry, add your object and then more resin. Kind of like if you were making a multi layered coloured jelly. I've tried adding tiny light flecks of flower soft into resin but it sank. Maybe glitter would be different. Try it in something that's not needed before you use a good item.
Hi Jamie… Thank you for the advice and tips. I think i have seen people using the triple thick for cabochons and similar. I’ve seen some tutorials online and you tube. Try and do a search, I’m sure something will come up. You can also get pearlescent food colouring pigment powders, I wonder if these work in scupley and liquid fimo.
Star said... Hi, I just wondered, do someone know about a place in norway, sweden or denmark you can buy resin, still water or solid water?
I've tried to find out what it's called in norwegian without luck;/
Marion said... It reminds me of my problems with Scenic Water. I had bought it and never used it for a year or two or longer. Never got it to work. Does anyone know if it has a 'use by' date at all?

Eva said... I am experimenting with ceramic varnish...I think that it works at least for small ponds ...I will post soon about this when I can show you.


No comments: